Sustainable Carolina publishes reports and one-pagers explaining the University’s efforts to push sustainability forward.
Annual Sustainability Report
Explore seven areas of campus sustainability.
Climate Action Plan
The University updated its Climate Action Plan in 2021. Revisions are made frequently and are reflected in the 2021 Climate Action Plan below.
Greenhouse Gases: By the Numbers
Explore campus GHG emissions.
Students often ask our team, “What can I do?” While systemic change is a necessity in sustainability, especially as we confront climate change, individual actions have value. Individual actions can strengthen sustainability — check out our list below to see how you can change your daily habitats to live a more environmentally-friendly life.
- Adjust your thermostat by at most 2° at a time.
- Unplug battery chargers or power adapters when equipment is fully charged or disconnected from the charger.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Raise blinds and turn off the lights when sufficient daylight is present to do work.
- Check out the UNC Energy Management Energy Conservation page for more tips.
- Participate in campus sustainability programs.
- Subscribe to the Sustainable Carolina monthly newsletter for information and resources.
- Join organizations that promote environmental stewardship.
- Share your strategies with us. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Encourage others to participate in emission-reduction strategies.
- Use digital rather than printed correspondence.
- Reuse single-sided pages.
- Purchase 100% recycled paper.
- Cancel subscriptions to unused publications.
- Consolidate ordering and trips.
- Choose no-rush shipping.
- Find the products you need with the closest origination.
- Utilize telework, webinars, and online training/conferences in place of traveling.
- Commute via rideshare, bus, bike, or walking. Check out the UNC Rideshare Program for information on carpooling to campus. Faculty, staff, and students who choose these options for commuting are rewarded through the Commuter Alternative Program.
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off water when brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Use cold water when washing clothes.