The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has worked for decades to integrate sustainability into its culture. Advances in operational efficiency, groundbreaking research, and academic opportunities around sustainability studies underpin our national recognition. The University’s plans and resulting actions have led to positive outcomes around greenhouse gas, water, and waste footprints. Achieving our aspirational goals requires the entire UNC-Chapel Hill community to work within an innovative, collaborative structure. Through this Strategic Framework, we provide a plan to empower and cultivate a community committed to sustainability and innovation through goals that empower people, promote inclusivity, and allow for collaboration in an equitable and accessible way.
Advance Carolina’s sustainability goals through collaborative partnerships across operations, academics, and research.
Develop the hub where Carolina’s expertise and ingenuity fuel environmental, economic, and societal sustainability.
GOALS & STRATEGIES
LEAD SUSTAINABILITY INNOVATION
- Collaboration with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and our community to engage in a network of sustainable partnerships
- Guidance through multidisciplinary campus plans
- Assessment of sustainability progress
Strategy Examples: Climate Action Plan, Water Plan, Sustainability Report, AASHE STARS Report
FACILITATE TRANSFORMATIVE ACTION
- Campus sustainability metrics and insights to university stakeholders addressing challenges in their units and our communities
- Programs through which stakeholders may gain the tools and resources necessary to achieve their unit’s sustainability goals
Strategy Examples: Green Office, Champion Sustainability Fund, Green Labs
NURTURE EDUCATIONAL EFFORTS
- Conception, delivery, and support of robust educational experiences that empower students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members to make sound decisions to achieve sustainable outcomes
- Opportunities to engage in sustainability activities through social media, website, and newsletter
- Connection to sustainability researchers through networking and research translation
Strategy Examples: Field Sites, Capstones, EcoStudio Internships