What Can I Do?
There are many ways that you can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We are providing a non-exhaustive list of decisions you can make to improve your individual impact.
Accounting for the entirety of campus emissions is difficult because we can’t capture the impact of every action by every individual on campus. As you read through these categories, please know that while these actions will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the avoided emissions may or may not be captured by our greenhouse gas inventory.
- Utilize telework, webinars, and online training/conferences in place of traveling.
- Commute via carpool, bus, bike, or walking. Check out the UNC Rideshare Program for information on carpooling to campus.
- Choose a Study Abroad Program within 5,000 miles of Chapel Hill.
- Keep refrigerators full.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Raise blinds and turn off the lights when sufficient daylight is present to do work.
- Check out the UNC Energy Management Energy Conservation page for more tips.
- Consider different or alternative sources of protein and dairy.
- Take a course in sustainable agriculture.
- Source food locally.
- Check out the UNC Dining Services Sustainability page to stay informed.
- Consolidate ordering and trips.
- Choose no-rush shipping.
- Find the products you need with the closest origination.
- Use digital rather than printed correspondence.
- Reuse single-sided pages.
- Purchase 100% recycled paper.
- Cancel subscriptions to unused publications.
- Take shorter showers.
- Use cold water when washing clothes.