What Can I Do?
There are many ways that you can help with sustainability efforts on campus and at home. We are providing a non-exhaustive list of decisions you can make to improve your individual impact.
- Utilize telework, webinars, and online training/conferences in place of traveling.
- Commute via rideshare, bus, bike, or walking. Check out the UNC Rideshare Program for information on carpooling to campus. Faculty, staff, and students who choose these options for commuting are rewarded through the Commuter Alternative Program.
- Adjust your thermostat by at most 2° at a time.
- Unplug battery chargers or power adapters when equipment is fully charged or disconnected from the charger.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Raise blinds and turn off the lights when sufficient daylight is present to do work.
- Check out the UNC Energy Management Energy Conservation page for more tips.
- Consider different or alternative sources of protein and dairy.
- Take a course in sustainable agriculture.
- Source food locally.
- Check out the Carolina Dining Services Sustainability page to stay informed.
- Consolidate ordering and trips.
- Choose no-rush shipping.
- Find the products you need with the closest origination.
- Use digital rather than printed correspondence.
- Reuse single-sided pages.
- Purchase 100% recycled paper.
- Cancel subscriptions to unused publications.
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off water when brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Use cold water when washing clothes.
- Use reusable dishes and water bottles.
- Recycle all plastic bottles, aluminum cans, paper & #2, #4, #5 plastic tubs.
- Compost when possible.
- Subscribe to the Sustainable Carolina Newsletter for information and resources.
- Join organizations that promote environmental stewardship such as the Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee or the Sustainable Business Club.
- Share your strategies with us. Give us feedback.
- Encourage others to participate in emission-reduction strategies.