Sustainable Carolina Professional Staff
Sustainable Carolina staff is housed within the UNC Institute for the Environment, represents a central connection point for campus sustainability. The team links strategic visions outlined by the Carolina Sustainability Council with campus stakeholders, creating analyses and feasibility studies of opportunities, reporting on campus progress, developing messaging around sustainability, and interfacing with campus and the wider community.
Sustainable Carolina Staff Members
- Mike Piehler, Chief Sustainability Officer and Director, UNC Institute for the Environment
- Langley Smith, Sustainability Program Specialist, Sustainable Carolina
- Melanie Elliott, Sustainability Analyst, Sustainable Carolina
- Abigail Brewer, Communications and Engagement Specialist, Sustainable Carolina
- Cindy Shea, Sustainability Director, Sustainable Carolina
Carolina Sustainability Council
The Carolina Sustainability Council advises the chancellor and his cabinet on sustainability strategy within the framework of Carolina Next: Innovations for Public Good. The Council includes students, faculty and staff, and its members bring a broad range of expertise, experience, and perspectives from across the University. Council meetings are shared on the University’s Open Meetings Calendar and listed on our own events page ahead of time. Meetings are recorded and streamed through the UNC Institute for the Environment Youtube channel.
Council Roster 2022-2023
- Mike Piehler, Chief Sustainability Officer and Director, Institute for the Environment
Faculty and Staff Members
- Elizabeth Havice, Professor, Department of Geography, College of Arts & Sciences
- Nikhil Kaza, Associate Professor, Department of City and Regional Planning and Environment, Ecology and Energy Program, College of Arts & Sciences
- Jeff Mittelstadt, Professor of the Practice of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and Executive Director of the Ackerman Center for Excellence in Sustainability
- Jonas Monast, Distinguished Assistant Professor and Director, Center for Climate, Energy, Environment and Economics, School of Law
- Natalie Murdock, Murdock Anderson Consulting and Senator, North Carolina General Assembly
- Erin Riggs, Executive Director, Environmental Finance Center, School of Government
- Aaron Salzberg, Distinguished Professor and Director, Water Institute, Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Julie Jacobson Vann, Clinical Associate Professor, UNC School of Nursing
- Ileana Fenwick, Doctoral Candidate and Graduate Student Representative, Department of Earth, Marine and Environmental Sciences
- Ideliya Khismatova, Co-Chair, Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee (RESPC)
- Ella Feathers and Jacob Crawford, co-directors of department of environmental affairs
Previous Council Members
Previous Meetings and Minutes
|September 2022||Walking tour meeting, no minutes||N/A|
|December 2022||Pending Council Approval||Youtube|
Campus staff and student organizations form an interconnected network of sustainability and environmental activities on campus. The Sustainability Coalition enhances communication among these parties. Sustainable Carolina meets regularly with partners from the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling, Carolina Dining Services, Transportation and Parking, and other operational departments as well as sustainability-focused student groups. Check out our pages for student organizations.
Campus Sustainability Partners
UNC-Chapel Hill’s legacy of sustainability would not be possible without the efforts of campus sustainability partners. Sustainable Carolina highlights the contributions of our campus partners through spotlights, interviews, and media contributions as we develop projects and activities that advance sustainability.